16 May 2013

PMS Spoiled My Non-Scale Victory


You have seen my report card. Zero result thus far. I had a very bad week. Glad my "friend" visiting me today. And that means it's the end of a bad PMS ever. End of crazy food cravings. End of severe abdominal bloating. End of terrible throbbing headache. End of of worst constipation. And now I'm ready to get back on track.


I don't have Non-Scale Victory this week. PMS spoiled my NSV. If I can called it a Non-Scale Victory, the only thing I managed to maintain is: Not using bottled sauces when cooking. It has been over 2 or 3 months since I last using them. Bottled sauces - tomato sauces, chilies sauces, barbecue sauces, oyster sauces, etc - they are one of the worst hidden sugar culprit. According to Eat This, Not That, half a cup of spaghetti sauce ought to have around 5 grams of sugar. It's just a one small step but not a bad starting point to avoid sugar addiction.

Well all this while, I have this mindset that crazy binging before period is normal and there's nothing you can do but ruin your diet before period every month. But here are 5 tricky steps I learned this month: 

How to Avoid PMS Symptom from Ruining Your Diet:

1. Always stock healthy foods while you're still okay
Thanks Miss Robin of The Mess That is My Life for the head up. Before your period, do some prep work when you're still feeling okay so they're easy to grab when you're not. Try to use slightly healthier options. When you craving for something sweet, maybe you'll eat a fruit roll instead of a candy bar. When you craving for something salty, you'll eat a couple of pickles instead of the bag of potato chips.

2. Clean up diet
Hormonal imbalance causing PMS symptom. Dr Mark Hyman suggested you increase fiber (vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains) in your diet, stop eating refined flour, sugar, and processed foods, cut out caffeine, stop drinking alcohol and eating protein (protein shake, eggs and nut butters) for breakfast to balance your blood sugar.

3. Exercise
Get moving is very important for balancing hormones.

4. Manage stress
Hot bath at night, getting a massage, doing yoga, deep breathing or meditation can also help balance hormones.

5. Supplement
Apart from taking a good daily multivitamin (all the nutrients work together),  Dr Mark Hyman also suggested these Top 10 supplement to eliminate PMS symptom:
  1. Magnesium Citrate or glycinate (400 to 600 mg a day) to improve metabolic function,
  2. Vitamin B6 (50 to 100 mg a day along with 800 mcg of Folate and 1,000 mcg of Vitamin B-12)
  3. Evening Primrose Oil (two 500mg capsules twice a day)
  4. Taurine (500 mg a day) to help liver detoxification. 
  5. Chasteberry fruit extract ( 100 mg twice a day of a 10:1 extract) (Vitex Agnus-Castus) can help balance the hormones released by the pituitary gland that control your overall hormone function. 
  6. Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) and cramp bark (Viburum opulus) can help regulate cycles and relieve menstrual cramps. 
  7. Dandelion Root can help with liver detoxification and works as a diuretic. 
  8. Isoflavones from soy, red clover, or kudzu root improve estrogen detoxification by boosting the activity of specific detox enzymes. 
  9. Flaxseed contain lignans that help balance hormone metabolism and block the negative effects of excess estrogens. 
  10. Probiotics supplement (5 to 10 billion live organism) to replacing healthy bacteria in the gut to helps normalize estrogen and hormone metabolism. 
button

Hopefully next month and months to come, I'll be more than ready. I marked my calendar and make sure PMS will never ruin my diet and my NSV anymore.

What is your Non-Scale Victory this week?


Encouraged by this?
Sign Up for FREE and never miss a post.
💊 Motivations
📙 Uplifting Stories
👸Celebrities' Lifestyle
🏃Diet and Workout Ideas



7 comments:

  1. All good food for thought! I make sure to take magnesium and iron supplements. That helps A LOT!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate a dandelion the other day (yellow flower & leaves) but haven't tried the root yet. I love me some free food. Not using bottled sauces is pretty impressive. Niiice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try those supplements. I am a CRAZY person that one week of month. I think you're doing fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for not using bottled sauces! It can be tough with pms, we get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having PMS is rough!! I appreciate the tips, I need to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this list! I have a terrible time with PMS, but I have noticed that since switching to mostly clean eating, it has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for sharing your kind thought.

    ReplyDelete

You never know who you are inspiring today. Post your comment and talk about it!

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Waist Story © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K. | About | Disclaimer
BACK TO TOP