01 July 2013

Count Steps Challenge: 10,000 Steps per Day for Weight Loss

Hello, July! We're now in the second half of the year!



This week is the final week of 35 Day Challenge: Drop One Dress Size in 5 Week. I must admit, I am bad at keeping up with a challenge. Any weight loss challenge. The only progress I made for the past 4 weeks was not gaining weight. Maintain at 74 kg, which means OBESE for my my BMI calculation. Do I give up? I wanted to but I have another option, so I choose the second option.

"I may not be there yet, but I'm making progress and if I stick with it I will succeed."



I give myself another Non-Scale Victory Challenge. Yes, I'm absolutely terrible at losing weight but since giving up is not the option, I then decided to challenge myself again to do 10,000 steps every day this month of July. So, I bought myself a pedometer yesterday. I purchased the least expensive — costing less than $30, which means it was the basic model.


What is a Pedometer?
Pedometer is a tracking device use to measure your activity levels. It works by measuring the up and down motion of your hip as you walk. It will also measure your movements such as climbing the stairs, gardening, etc during your day. I learned that you have to slide the clip onto your belt or waistband in order for it to work properly. The pedometer should be worn in a location above the hip so that it can detect the leg movement. But you may have to experiment to find the best place for your shape. You should aim to achieve 10,000 steps a day. (equivalent to 8 km / 5 miles)


Why 10,000 steps?

1. It's about staying motivated
Unless you have a treadmill desk, your workday is probably pretty sedentary. A pedometer won't change that, but it can make you more aware of how much you move in a day. You will be more likely to walk and keep moving throughout the day, seeking more opportunities to add in steps here and there so that you can accumulate steps and achieve the 10,000 steps goal.

2. Walking is beneficial to your overall health
Walking increases muscle strength, helps create stronger bones, improves your balance and increases your endurance. Walking also improves your cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness.

3. Weight loss
Taking 10,000 steps a day could potentially lower the BMI of a typically sedentary person, according to studies. Even without any dietary adjustment, walking can reduce fat stores in the bodies of people with Type 2 diabetes and prevent any weight increase.

Alternative to a Pedometer
You'll be amazed how a pedometer makes you want to meet the goal. But if you don't want to invest in a pedometer, then you can turn your smartphone into a pedometer. You can download a pedometer app. (There are free pedometer apps for both iPhone and Android.)

A pedometer can offer a motivation and accountability. Let's have a small talk:
1. Do you use a pedometer app for your smart phone or other mobile device? What app do you use?
2. ...or do you prefer to use a gadget to track your progress? 



Encouraged by this?
Sign Up for FREE and never miss a post.
💊 Motivations
📙 Uplifting Stories
👸Celebrities' Lifestyle
🏃Diet and Workout Ideas



8 comments:

  1. I really want a pedometer. I think it's very motivating. Welcome to July! Hope this is a very successful summer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to a succesful July! December is just 6 months away. Thanks for your encouragement Tamara. Pedometer is a great tool. I'm not reaching my goal of 10,000 steps today but at least i've succesfully get my lazy butt off the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my pedometer. I can lift weights and do yoga and cardio, but getting in 10,000 steps seems to be one of the easiest ways for me to burn calories right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use one but I see the motivation it will give. Wow, half the year gone! There is time to make your goal by Nov though. This is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my little gadget, tooCindy. I am amaze at how it increase awareness and amount of my physical activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I want to believe there's still time to chase my goal Joi. Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up...you can do it! :-) I think a pedometer is a great idea! I don't have one myself, but I'd love to get one. I'd be curious to know how many steps I take a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep at it! Don't give up! I love a pedometer. I've used one years ago. It's such a motivator. Plus, I love a goal and usually it helps to have a deadline even if you don't meet the deadline...it's also a motivator.

    Sharon
    http://makeitorfixit.com

    ReplyDelete

You never know who you are inspiring today. Post your comment and talk about it!

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Waist Story © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K. | About | Disclaimer
BACK TO TOP