03 March 2015

Turmeric Tea And Weight Loss: What's The Connection?

I first heard about turmeric tea for weight loss from my mom when I was younger. I mean a lot younger.(^_-) Turmeric is known to be one of the most magical healing herbs but back then I have no specific idea how turmeric can help with weight loss. Neither did mom.(^_^;) I guess. She got the tips from the other housewives in our neighborhood. And I bet she simply decided to give the tips a try. Later when I became a mom myself for the first time, I discover that drinking turmeric tea after delivery for 3 days in row can help relieve the pressure of a swollen uterus after childbirth.

Turmeric Tea for Weight Loss

Turmeric root contain an active compound called curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. How turmeric can help in weight loss? In my experience, drinking turmeric tea can suppresses your appetite thus help reduce your cravings for food. According to Slism site, curcumin in turmeric helps your body block fat.

How turmeric helps you block fat? Curcumin inhibits the formation of fatty tissue by blocking the mechanism used to form it. It does this by supressing your blood vessels used to form fat tissue. Turmeric can also be used in the treatment of diabetes by helping to moderate insulin levels.

 Turmeric Tea Recipe


Mine version is simple. You'll need:
  • 1 inches turmeric
  • 1 inches ginger
  • Tamarind paste 
  • 1 glass of hot water

You can grate turmeric with a microplane or smash with a pestle and mortar
1. Wash the turmeric and ginger root of any dirt before you peel it. You don't need to peel the turmeric and ginger but I prefer to. Crush the ginger and turmeric root using mortar and pestle. Be warned that turmeric will stain everything it touches yellow! That's why I don't use blender. But don't worry your fingers turn yellow with turmeric because it washes off skin pretty easily with any soap.

Fresh turmeric will stains surfaces and fingers.
Wear gloves while grating it if you don't want yellow fingertips.
2. Bring water to a boil. Pour hot water into a glass then put the crushed turmeric and ginger root with tamarind paste into it. You can use lemon or honey in place of tamarind paste. Stir slowly.

You can use turmeric powder if you can't find raw turmeric root. Only make sure it organic. I love to use fresh turmeric root each time I brew my tea because it provide a richer flavor.

3. Let the water sit for a few minutes.

4. Lastly, strain the mixture and enjoy your tea.

Turmeric tea taste bitter but the ginger and tamarind paste counter the bitter taste.
Please ignore my messy hair. Bad hair day.  >^_^<
You can make a big batch of turmeric tea each weekend and freeze it to enjoy throughout the week but I prefer warm over cold tea. Another tips I read from other blogs, limit your intake of turmeric tea to 2-3 times per week to prevent accidental overdose.

10 Other Amazing Health Benefit of Turmeric

1. Help prevent (and perhaps even treat) cancer
2. Useful in preventing and treating alzheimer’s disease
3. Incredible benefits against depression
4. Relieves arthritis
5. Immunity booster - turmeric contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide, which helps stimulate the body’s immune system.
6. Heals wounds - sprinkle turmeric powder on the affected area to speed up the healing process.
7. pimples treatment - use as a face mask. All you need is turmeric and water. Apply this paste to the pimple-affected area and leave it for some time.
8. Remove stretch marks. Turmeric mixed with yogurt is good to remove stretch marks.
9. Help you to get rid of soar throat, cough, cold. Applied turmeric paste on forehead helps reduce fever.
10. Delay ageing and fight age-related chronic diseases.

Word of caution

I was thinking now about incorporating turmeric tea into my diet to boost weight loss but mom warned me that daily intake could cause pre-menopause. There's a case, someone she knew who used to drink turmeric tea every day finding it tough to conceive later.

Turmeric when combined with strong medications can also cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Turmeric has known for its liver-protective effects however it can cause significant liver damage if used in excess high doses. Long-term use of turmeric may also cause indigestion, nausea, or diarrhea. According to National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), people with gallbladder disease should avoid using turmeric as a dietary supplement, as it may worsen the condition.

My verdict? Too much of a good thing can be bad. Take running as example. Running is a good form of healthy activity. But too much running can be a serious threat to your health. So, moderation is the key here.

Have you ever made turmeric tea or tea with other herbs and spices? 
Leave your comments below, I can't wait to know 
how you incorporate turmeric into your everyday life


Encouraged by this?
Sign Up for FREE and never miss a post.
💊 Motivations
📙 Uplifting Stories
👸Celebrities' Lifestyle
🏃Diet and Workout Ideas



5 comments:

  1. This is really interesting...I love learning about how different foods affect us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting...I love learning about how different foods affect us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting.

    I've never tried tumeric tea... although the threat of pre-menopause doesn't sound appealing since I'm not too far away from it anyway.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that I stopped by. I did not know that turmeric may help with weight loss. I use it in powder form and ginger root in some of my juice mixtures. Thanks so sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have written very good blog post!
    I have read so much about turmeric in weight loss but you have explain it's uses very effectively. Thanks for sharing this useful information.

    Garcinia Cambogia India

    ReplyDelete

You never know who you are inspiring today. Post your comment and talk about it!

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
Waist Story © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K. | About | Disclaimer
BACK TO TOP